@S1ngletracker said in Routes created in Android SA and synced with iOS SA in to SSU are corrupted (0 m).:
Did not find any topic for this.
When you create a route in Androin Suunto App and use iOS version of the Suunto App to sync the route to SSU the route gets corrupted. The length is always 0 m and when you use the route in navigation, SSU informs about every 100 meters that “you have reched the destination”.
The elevation curve seams to be ok but the location stays at the start eaven if you go trough the route.
So this is brogen.
I tested this way of creating routes becouse the bigger screen on tablet.
SA Android 3.54.1, Samsung Calaxy Tab3 Android 8.0
SA iOS 1.5.0, iPhone 12.1
@Eddy84 No problems with BLE in pairing and sync moves and all other stuff. My problem is with notifications. In app is on, i tried to unpair watch and pair again, clear cache and 12s in watch. No results. I never had this problem in iOS.
This issue was reported already. We are awaiting fix. Hope that it will be ready soon.
Check this thread please
@surfboomerang I’ve brought up this issue a couple of times already. The issue is also obvious just by looking at the time labels - the time difference between them varies quite a bit even though the distance between them on the graph is the same.
Servers were undergoing maintenance and all your activities will/should sync to SA. SA does not sync to Movescount and if you use custom sport modes in SA or routes you will not be able to sync to Movescount via cable.
@Bram-Pauwels I am sorry for you, but if you do a FW upgrade in the watch before sync you lose the activities. What you see in the watch is a summary of the activity not the activity itself.
So, one should always sync before the watch FW update.