Incorrect GPS signal in the water workout
I noticed that when i use my Suunto 9 Baro in the open water (sea) i receive incorrect results, means completely incorrect. Usually GPS work good - during running, bycicle sessions. But in the water it works very bad. If you faced with this as well, how you fix it? or what to do in this case?
Thank you in advance!
@temafey I think openwater swimming is one of the hardest sport to get a good GPS track as water blocks most of the GPS signal.
Accuracy comes with the algorithms Suunto develops. I don’t think there is very much you can do to get better readings.
@surfboomerang apart from one thing. You can buy a buoy. Then you get near perfect GPS, but you’d have to sacrifice other metrics bc watch isn’t on your hand
@surfboomerang i understand that GPS accuracy in the sea cannot be as good as running or bicycling, but GPS in the water shows me on time 600m distance, next time 40m, but distance all the time same. this is big difference i suppose
@temafey could be due to wave hights, style of swimming, angle of hand in water- a variety of things.
@jamie-bg even when i stay and preparing for swimming, start open water workout it shows me in a second 40m already i swam. no waves, yes different styles.
@temafey There a number of things to remember if you want to have better swimming track results:
- Water doesn’t transmit GPS signal so you can get track only if you’re swimming freestyle (crawl), not breaststroke or anything when your hands underwater for long periods
- Enable workout mode at least a couple of minutes before actual start so watch acquires best signal
- Do not make pauses in water during exercise. If you pause while you’re in water and your hands under water during pause - watch is losing signal. After you continue your swim it takes time before watch gets GPS fix again.
- Experiment with different GNSS combinations. While for running almost any GNSS is okay nowadays, it may have an effect for OWS.
- Try putting watch on different hand
- The only way to get perfect track/distance in open water swimming - is to use Swim Buoy and put watch in it.
These are mine recommendations, based on my experience. Suunto also has some on this page https://www.suunto.com/Support/faq-articles/lifecycle/how-to-get-more-accurate-open-water-swim-tracking/