current state of suunto app vs movescount app?, who using what and why
I just upgrade from a ambit2 to S9, and really appreciate the ability to sync workouts via Bluetooth (happy to use the cable once and a while for settings updates). I also prefer a website (movescount) at times for analysis and settings. I understand that suunto has done a lot of work recently to update and fix the suunto app bugs/features, and was wondering at this point which one do you recommend to use, Suunto app or movescount app…and can you mention pros/cons of each or why use use one vs the other
Also, have all the customization settings that are available movesount website been ported over to either the suunto app or sports tracker website
@capall deleted your duplicate. No worries.
I am also wondering when more of the features that are available on movescout will be available on the app, currently it’s very lacking and after the last very poor update I wondering if it’s worth waiting, when are we even going to get heart rate recorded daily rather than just in exercise
I stopped using Movescount app/web a while ago, I have what I need now in SA (beta IOS) and I’m happy with how it evolves.
What I find best in SA:
- Bluetooth sync is fast, reliable
- sharing photo is really nice
- the UX is nicer than Movescount app
- the ‘view analysis’ of the diary is enough for me to follow up my training load - I must admit I have very limited requirements there and and am not a training plan aficionados (I’m actually more a casual runner than anything else)
- searching through the activities works better than movescount, and I use # in descriptions to mimic the tag management of Movescount
- I find the route planning easier on mobile than on PC
What I miss from Movescount, but that’s not a blocker for me:
- I liked the good old Movescount movie
- the personal bests
- the map with all my moves (I know it’s available in SA Android, so hope it will be available in IOS too some day)
So in my opinion the ecosystem SA + watch is already more interesting than MovescountApp + MovescountWeb + watch, even if some features here and there in SA need to be completed.
And that’s not considering new features to come in SA.
I’m currently using both. The SA is getting better and better and I’d preffer to use it only. Unfortunately, as long as swimming is more or less not covered within the app (no swim metrics, no laps, …) I still need to use movescount web.
I still use movescount for tracking mileage on my shoes, using the tags. I also like having a web interface to refer to. I have to say, I am impressed with the progress on the app during the short time have had my suunto.
I used movescount here, suunto app there and then back and forward. Now i think i’m fine with what I have, at least as long as Suunto App is unfinished product:
- Movescount- primarly used for synchronization of moves, suunto movie, customized sport modes etc., what movescount and web offers. And what’s important-watch notification filter is working. Not best app for move recording, but not required much.
- Movescount auto sync to Sports tracker and auto to Suunto App. Great thing is- same account, same look for both services, same training database. Strange for me- Suunto App is not able to connect to Suunto Smart Sensor HRM- nonsense. Good news- sports tracker app does. What’s great about suunto app/suunto sportstracker vs Movescount app- you can better see training data on map view by sliding on training data diagram- hr, pace, distance. On movescount app it’s picture like digram.
So Movescount for sync and watch notifications, suunto app for data analys on mobile.
P.S. syncmytracks android app for other services, even garmin.
@dima-h2o thanks for the info, since you can’t have both movescount and S-app on the same device (causes syncing conflict), how do you sync to movescount and then use the Sapp for analysis …I assume your are doing this on the same device? thanks
Are you doing a USB movescount sync, then using movescount to send to sports tracker which syncs to the S-app, and on your mobile device you do not have the watch added to the S-app, so as to prevent the watch syncing with the S-app
@jean-william-cousin pretty much hit all the reasons I’m using SA now and not MC at all…those and the ability to customize my sport modes now are great.
I’d love to see these elements make their way into SA too.
I don’t have any conflicts on my mobile (android), at least i don’t know about it. Maybe You are talking about ability to sync in both apps, so yeah, not possible . But i’m syncing only with MC app. I realised for me once, that on MC web You can sync to sportstracker service, wich is same as suunto app service. If move is on Sportstracker, it’s on Suunto App. So You can check Your training data there on Suunto App after You sync to MC app. Suunto App is better for data view and at the same time You can follow, how Suunto App is getting better or not, so You can jump at some point to new app completely.
Yes, You won’t be able to customize sports mode from MC mobile app like on Suunto App, but it’s not everyday requirement. You can easy launch MC web on Your mobile, change sports mode, save it, sync via MC app.
Notification display on my watch is for everyday, so MC here wins at this point.
Thanks for the response, just to clairfy
Yes I understand you can;t sync to both apps, which is why I’m a bit confused on how you view the Sapp, after it has received a sync from Sports Tracker.
You said you are syncing with the “MC app”, so I assume thats installed on your phone and sync via bluetooth, and therefore you can’t have the Sapp on your mobile, so how do you view the Sapp after it has received an update from SportsTracker.com
Can you clarify specifically how you sync and where the apps are viewed
I’m really sure it works for me- both apps on same mobile (android). Not sure, why it doesn’t for You, but problem could be- your are connected to suunto app. So try to unpair it from suunto app and pair it via MC again. From MC web sync Your profile to sportstracker using suunto credentials. Try to log in to sports teacker service via web using suunto credentials, it should work.
Download sportstracker app, You will see it’s copy paste suunto app with all Your trainings allready there. Just sportracker app is with more features.
I just did my ruuning, synced it to MC and it’s in few seconds on sportracker, suunto app, strava. After syncmytracks app it goes to garmin, from garmin to endomondo, from endomondo to Alpha Centaury and other civilizations
I would prinstreen my apps, just dont know how to attach pictures here
@dima-h2o ok, thanks for that. I’ll try both apps with just paired to MC. it may be an ios thing