@aldo70 said in Cannot Pair App to Spartan Ultra:
@dimitrios-kanellopoulos yes, this is a good news, the bad one is that I have to send my spartan to be repaired (gps not working well) and I will be using my Ambit3 … which is not supported by the app. Anyway I am happy to be connected again !!!
first world problems (joke). Happy it went good.
@Terppi I agree with this assessment. I’ve also an Ambit3peak and I see the same problem. The way I deal with this right now is to only sync when my iPhone is plugged in and have Auto-lock set to 5 mins in Displays & brightness.
I just checked mine and they are consistent in the watch and on SA. Two other things to consider. Did you set up custom HR zones? If so, did you also set up the Default Zones? Depending on the type of exercise, you may get the default zones instead of running or biking.
@Luche Very happy this worked out and glad all is working now. I did not want you to lose any moves, that is why I did not suggest a hard reset immediately. Thanks @Dimitrios-Kanellopoulos for helping and filing the bug.
@Saketo-Nemo Me too, after 2 smart sensors returned, the polar H10 is the killer sensor,
never goes above my max HR,
never peaks when I am cold.
The only feature would be to filter a bit more the small flikers
@tuomas-lannes the export from St is pita.
Has a lot of errors. The most bug problem is wrong timestamp order that’s why this.
Soon comes paetners connection and .fit export.
Gpx export cannot support good values. Eg cannot have headers with sums etc. Gpx is a bad format by design.
So let’s wait a tiny bit to get the .fit export that should come soon ish now
@fritzbt2013 I think for the first time in my Strava “life” will see correct stats. I did not see correct stats from Garmin (my first device) , from Polar (second device) or MC/Suunto (current device)
I am more than happy finally and more than happy will be support if people stop asking why my time in strava is different.
I was totally sure we meant the same thing while typing here!
@Dimitrios-Kanellopoulos said in Suunto App matched runs.:
@jthomi I agree with you and you are right. The context I replied is that in the context sync for a web interface exclusively (that SA covers that atm for partners only).
Thank you, yes this worked.
in app -> forget device -> clear app cache and data -> uninstall app
in watch -> disconnect device
on phone -> install app -> start
in app -> sign in -> connect device -> enter code-> starts syncing -> deleted move shows up as notification and in my activity log…
Back to work, thanks!
I’ve the same issue (S9 Baro). When in elevation mode, Fused Alti is not working fine or at all.
See figure below, i was running in a totaly flat area ( elevation around +2,0 m)
In anothet case, watch was in auto mode, you van see that FA doesn’t do the job. After a little elevation gain ( About 3 m) the watch switch to elevation mode and toen Baro takes over, not corrected, begin and endpoint are the same.
I’m dissapointed and hope in the next firmware update this problem will be adressed.