New App User with an Ambit3
OK - So Movescount App finally stopped sending my data back this morning. I’ve now moved over to Suunto App… I’ve used plenty of more appropriate threads for my complaints about what I’m losing, but I’d be interested to know in this thread; what have I gained?
So, fans of the Suunto App, tell me what I should play with and what new features I’ve now got (or point me towards some documentation) - bearing in mind I have an Ambit3 and plan and analyse all my training in TrainingPeaks.
Thanks in advance for any responses to my rather cheeky request
EDIT: I’m an Android user
- elevation gain in TP should now match the Asc value you see on your watch.
- as TP turns sport and sub-sport id-s in fit-files into tags, there are now more auto-tags in TP (i.e. orienteering automagically gets Running & RunningNavigate tags, really nice for filtering )
- if you set chart smoothing to minimum in TP, you now have this distinctive jagged pattern for heart rate, I’ve found it quite handy for checking HR issues (jagged means OK)
As of app itself …
- I’ve found summaries view more convenient for checking distance and duration (grouped by period, filtered by sport) than getting that same information from TP, though filtering is quite limited
- personal heat map (animation!) and latest map theme are quite nice
as TP turns sport and sub-sport id-s in fit-files into tags, there are now more auto-tags in TP (i.e. orienteering automagically gets Running & RunningNavigate tags, really nice for filtering )
This one’s certainly interesting to me - I’ve always had Running as one sport mode, but I might set up some more now. Thanks!
Coming back to my own thread after just over a week’s use I’ve a couple of things to add to this thread:
- Sync is much more reliable and much quicker than with the Movescount App - well done Suunto App for Android devs!
- The heat map has been quite nice for seeing which local areas I have not run recently (I’m running daily and UK lockdown guidelines say it should be ‘local’ - ideally starting and ending at your own front door - which means I’m doing a lot of the same routes repeatedly).
And another one…
- Movescount app appeared to interact with WhatsApp and my mail client differently and give me a count of messages (or all the messages) rather than just the most recent message in the notification. SuuntoApp just gives the first bit of the most recent message which is much better.