Ambit3 - Will there still be support for battery-saving GPS settings, in sport-modes?

• Bronze Member

This one tripped me, last weekend, when I realized I use my “long haul” modified ski touring settings, for when I’m ski touring for >1 day.

The same is true when bike touring, in the summer, I have a couple of modes where I reduce the GPS frequency/recording interval, which lets me get almost a week of data, on a bike tour, before needing to recharge, or worry about running out of battery.

Same for backpacking/climbing, it’s often multi-day (which works fine with less GPS frequency, very easy to get a 3-5 day trip in).

Without these settings, this effectively removes these activities, with the possible exception of “lugging along” a USB battery pack, to charge daily (not exactly an awesome solution, particularly for backpacking/climbing, where weight is a HUGE concern (batteries are heavy, by nature, and really heavy if you start talking about multiple charges on a trip).

• Bronze Member

As long as you use previously configured sport modes that will include GPS refresh rate. But Suunto App doesn’t support making any new sport mode configurations for for Ambit3, so whatever you already have on watch, you are stuck with that. Is that what your question is about?

• @silentvoyager This is exactly what I was looking for. I can therefore do sport profiles with different GPS settings (e.g. 1s 10h or 10s 100h) and these settings will be maintained when MS is off. Thank you

The dilemma now is the gpx upload on the watch, once MS will be off

• Bronze Member

@silentvoyager So your understanding is, it’s sort of “locked in”, at that point? I wonder what happens, if you have to reset it, or something else? Do you have a statement, or similar, that backs this up (not that I doubt you, but I don’t read this in the main Suunto statement, anywhere)?

I guess if you decide, later on, that you want another “low GPS/long battery life” activity (I could see this with trekking or something), then you’re sort of stuck, right?
    Still better than “no low-GPS activities” though, by far.

I have sport-modes (mainly my skiing ones) with apps, too, I wonder if I need to be “prepping” non-app modes, so I can push those, at the very last minute.

This is a bit of a “weird” conversation, if you ask me, we’re sort of “plotting” how to work around a change that’s going to affect almost half (about 45%) of the Suunto users (a LOT of whom probably have no idea, didn’t see the email, etc.).

• Bronze Member

@pgrey Unless Suunto makes any serious design changes in Suunto App, which I think is unlikely, or keep supporting Movescount, Ambit3 and Traverse users are pretty much screwed. It isn’t just sport mode configurations. The same would apply to anything else that Movescount uploads to a watch including personal settings (age, HR zones), structured workouts, POIs, navigation routes, custom apps, etc.

The real problem is that Suunto decided to not support configuring most of these settings outside of a watch even for newer watches like Spartan or Suunto 9. All of these settings can now be changed only on a watch, or in some cases can’t be changed at all (e. g. Baro profiles for a sport mode). Before almost everything could be pushed to a watch. Now - almost nothing. The new protocol with the watch simply doesn’t support the legacy stuff, neither the recent watches. So we have a breaking change here. Either Suunto has to maintain two completely different protocols between SA and a watch or they have to drop the legacy support.